Thursday, October 4, 2012

sweater makeover

When I was a teen, I never understood the women who would talk/complain about never buying things for themselves. I didn't get why they're wardrobes were so outdated. I mean, when I wanted new clothes, I took my foolishly spent earnings and bought them!

But now that I am one of those women, I totally get it! No, I don't do the homely drab, "I have to dress like this because I'm a mother" look. BUT I will say that my wardrobe is just about the same as it was in high school. Same jeans, same shirts. Very little color. Lots of black.

Let's just face it, when I have extra cash to spend on clothes, I always end up buying something for the munchkins!

Anyway, I pulled out some old sweaters and decided it was time for some of them to retire. And others to be made over.

Here is one I did....

please just ignore all the junk in the background....not sure what possessed me to take the pictures here amidst Clairsy's scrabble game, on top of my brightly colored comforter with junk all over the floor. lol. just keepin' it real folks. 

Not sure why I still had this! I'm pretty sure it never looked good on me. Drab GAP sweater. Looks like it belongs in the boys department, right?!

Here's what I did with it...


I cut it down the middle, attached ribbon and buttons to one side and made button holes on the other. Made some ruffles from another shirt that needed a meeting with the trash can and sewed those in random swirls. And Voila! A new and improved sweater/cardigan for the fall :)

I still desperately need a shopping spree, but its a start.

So if you have some of "those" sweaters in the closet...you know who you are...consider turning them into something better!

2 comments:

  1. Love this idea! I've seen it before and just need to take the plunge. How difficult was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. not difficult at all!!! i pretty much just copied the style of my favorite cardigan! my only warning would be to check and re-check your button/button hole spots....with the stretchy fabric, my ended up being a little off. let me know if you try! would love to see your twist on it :) thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your thoughts! Please leave a comment :)